Welcome guest, please Log in or Register for Free

International Man Forums

You are here: HomeForum Home → Discussions → Income Diversification → Thread

Complete List Of Portable Income Opportunity Ideas

RankRank

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2013-12-20

PM

Many people are not rich enough to move offshore unless they have a way of getting a consistent income to support themselves offshore. Such an income obviously must be portable so you can keep the income going and so you can access it once you are offshore.

Please help list all the portable income ideas that you can so that people can be given something to work with. Do not post affiliate program links, but just ideas so that people can hunt for specifics themselves.

http://www.portableincome.net

RankRank

Total Posts: 66

Joined 2013-04-19

PM

This is a good idea.

I’ll start:

Website with ads for ad revenue

Writing ebooks

Freelance web design/programming, or remote working for a company doing the same

Legal/technical consulting

Customer support for an online retailer

Content creation on behalf of a website

Drop-shipping products.

Gold/resource/character farming in an MMORPG and selling for real-world currency

Copywriting as a freelancer or remote working for a company doing the same.

Those are some of the more apparent or commonly referenced ones. Obviously there are many more niches. Anyone else care to share?

RankRank

Joined 2013-12-20

PM

Shorelines

Drop-shipping products.

I have identified selling on Amazon, after a person studies the best Amazon course, to be one of the best online ways to make money.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2013-07-06

PM

export/import of legal merchandise to/from currency control country.

RankRankRank

Total Posts: 279

Joined 2013-01-14

PM

I started doing consultancy and that worked out pretty well, although it does include travels to meet clients and, in my case, travels to then fulfil client’s requests. Also run a couple of passive-income affiliate websites.

• Reselling anything, as long as you don’t need to physically touch the goods. Just sell it better than the original seller.

• Web hosting (rent a server, install a web hosting platform, start selling - understand what you’re doing).

• Trading (FX, penny stocks, regular stocks, daytrading, you name it).

• Monetized YouTube videos.

• Language tutoring.

• Being a nominee director/shareholder (be very careful).

• Online poker (be good at it).

• Lots of sales jobs can be done from home.

• Freelance writer (for example, travel reporter).

• Creative content (music, graphics) sold to companies or independent content creators.

RankRank

Joined 2013-12-20

PM

Binary Options can be profitable as long as you do not get into a gambling addiction, but stick to placing trades using trend charts and a system that closes you out after two wins in a row. But you need to start small and have enough in your account for doing this. A number of established forex brokers such as Alpari U.K. are now getting into Binary Options so things are looking good for this industry.

If you have your money in a number of established brokers that have a reliable track record of paying, then you could actually supplement your offshore income using binary options trading.

Portable Income

Rank

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-10-24

PM

I am interested in building a portable income that I can maintain from anywhere around the globe.

From the different ideas that you guys mention above, I would say that Trading (stocks, options, forex etc) would be the field where I have the biggest chance of success.

I have very little experience in the field but have recently begun to study it intensively through books and websites.

My question is, does anyone here have any kind of experience with trading for a living? What are the pros and cons?

A little bit of background.

I am a young guy with relatively few means to spare. But I am working a 9-5 job that pays me pretty well, and allows me to set something aside, that I can invest into this project.

Why do I want to be ‘‘location independant’‘?

I am going to volunteer at an orphanage in Africa later this year. Obviously they do not pay me, and I am responsible for paying my own meals and transport. I was hoping that I could spend some of my free time there to build my portable income, and extend my stay if possible.

I hope someone will be able to offer some advice smile

RankRank

Joined 2013-12-20

PM

I just had a financial trading system come into my email box that I will be looking at closely. I will report back if I can in good conscience recommend it.

You may also want to reverse engineer some successful businesses online and I could recommend a training course that teaches you how to reverse engineer successful online businesses. By reverse engineering you are not guessing at what may work, but instead you are legally replicating something that already is working.

More later,  Portable Income

RankRank

Joined 2013-04-19

PM

PortableIncome
Shorelines

Drop-shipping products.

I have identified selling on Amazon, after a person studies the best Amazon course, to be one of the best online ways to make money.

:dry:

It sounds like you’re talking about something you’ve never done before. Drop-shipping has sucked for 10 years; especially anything involved with an identifiable ‘best amazon course’ to make money. That post sounded like a trite get rich quick scheme displayed on the side of a webpage. If you’re going to be an authoritative source of information, it’s ideal if you’ve done what you advise rather than re-hashing information.

Talk about asking for a saturated market. Just find a niche and roll with it.

But you already know this, you actually have made an interesting niche yourself by aggregating portable income ideas. Good job.

Just trying to help and be devil’s advocate. Good luck to both of you.

RankRank

Joined 2013-04-19

PM

Kovacs
I am interested in building a portable income that I can maintain from anywhere around the globe.

From the different ideas that you guys mention above, I would say that Trading (stocks, options, forex etc) would be the field where I have the biggest chance of success.

I have very little experience in the field but have recently begun to study it intensively through books and websites.

My question is, does anyone here have any kind of experience with trading for a living? What are the pros and cons?

A little bit of background.

I am a young guy with relatively few means to spare. But I am working a 9-5 job that pays me pretty well, and allows me to set something aside, that I can invest into this project.

Why do I want to be ‘‘location independant’‘?

I am going to volunteer at an orphanage in Africa later this year. Obviously they do not pay me, and I am responsible for paying my own meals and transport. I was hoping that I could spend some of my free time there to build my portable income, and extend my stay if possible.

I hope someone will be able to offer some advice smile

Sorry for making a bunch of assumptions here, and don’t take this to heart, I’m just asking you some rhetorical questions to prepare you before you leave so you get started on the right foot.

If you’re trading money or any kinds of assets, you’re essentially taking large risks with your life savings (which apparently are next to none right now). Remember, trading is a zero-sum game: you’re competing against the other players in the market. Are they going to be outgunning you? Do they have floors full of diverse staff, industry inside information, and time-tested automated proprietary computer algorithms that you don’t have?

If you’re not a man of means, yet get by with a reasonable 9-5 job, then that’s great. Just make sure that if you make a huge lifestyle change & location/culture/language/diet change at the same time, you have enough resources and budgetary discipline to see yourself through it. I’m not sure how long you’re going to be in Africa, but if you’re spending your productive hours learning a new language and culture, working through multiple bouts of dysentery from the new cuisine, and working with stressed out children, how much time are you going to have left to work on your project?

What’s going to happen when the internet goes out? What’s going to happen when you sit on your laptop screen in your bed, or your hard drive fails? Are you sure there’s a repair facility nearby, or more importantly, a replacement part that could be had anywhere in the country, or are you going to be buying a new $400 laptop every time something breaks because there’s no replacement parts and no dependable postal system, and the market for new products is so small that your local computer store has to raise the price on what would be a $200 netbook in the US to $400 because they only sell one every 6 months and they have to pay a premium to get it individually shipped? What’s going to happen when your phone, laptop, passport, cash stack gets stolen? What’s going to happen if you have to bribe an official to get out of a crime you didn’t commit?

I guess what I’m trying to say is that things are not as easy as they may seem in the third world. Many parts of Africa are still 100 years behind the US. Internet access may fail for days on end even if you have a backup connection. Are you willing to pay $200 a month to get a 99% uptime guaranteed connection so that you can reliably protect your trading investments? You don’t want to be waiting for hours for the internet to get back online when seconds matter.

What happens when the power goes out for most of the day? Does the orphanage have a backup diesel generator? Do the walls have ground wiring to protect your laptop from a lightning strike?

If you want to trade, first make sure it works when you’re in the US. You may end up getting tied down in Africa and not want to leave. At that point, you’ll probably start trading with the cash/assets that you currently have, rationalizing that it’s your job to do so and you can do it responsibly. One aspect of doing this responsibly is if you know that it’s worked consistently before, when you still had your decent job and weren’t going to be out on the streets in Africa if you failed. Only after you’re sure it works in the US should you try to start doing it with a handicap that would make seasoned professionals reconsider their prospects.

What are you going to do when you get sick? Third-world doctors are sometimes seemingly less qualified than educated Western EMTs. How will disease affect your trading viability if you’re sick with dengue for 2 weeks?

If you want my opinion, don’t get locked in to spending your time in an orphanage in a town you’ve never been to before. You have no idea what it’s like there yet outside of the webpage’s propaganda. First get your feet on the ground and a feel for the place before you make any complete commitments.

I have a friend who seemingly came here with a good remote work job lined up, making $300 a week (good money out in these parts). Well it turned out he wasn’t a good fit for the job, he got terminated, now he’s broke, addicted to benzodiazepines, and willing to work for free as long as he has a place to stay and food to eat. He probably just sold his laptop last week because it was the last thing he had of value and the only way he could afford a plane ticket back home.

If you have someone who can bail you out of those situations, great, take some risks while you’re young. But don’t go overboard with a bunch of extremes at once; you could quickly ‘lose the plot’.

You’re also going to be surrounded by destitute, largely unmotivated people. African culture is not like US culture, it does not have the same competitive spirit that Americans are raised and bred with. How quickly is this culture going to rub off on you? What are you going to do when nearly all the expats you have to converse with are alcoholic deadbeat sexpats? How is this going to affect your productivity and focus?

The funny thing is, I went through most of all of the things above (and way more… I haven’t even mentioned all the women who are going to be after you)  and made it out pretty great so far.  But there were a lot of unexpected complications.

Remember when you’re independent trading, all rules of any kind of fairness or mercy go out the window. No one will be there to save you. You’re running a mission critical business all by yourself. Are you going to be able to run such a tight ship from an orphanage in Africa?

Good luck. Stay sharp, agile and flexible. It’s a big world out there, you have a lot of options to choose from both in terms of location and employment.

RankRank

Joined 2013-12-20

PM

I examined the trading opportunity I told you about, and the person was an affiliate for a binary options brokerage. It looks like he found a good brokerage but I failed to find any good training course that was being recommended. There are people who are making consistent money from binary options, but I would not recommend something that takes time to learn and where you need lots of capital to start out unless you had the capital. I will look for more opps in this arena, but remember you need about $10,000 to start out to draw out about $700 per month which would help you in Africa.

Shorelines brought up some important things to keep in mind in his very last post about the Internet going out at times in Africa and other third world countries. That is why I do not recommend that you have a business in Africa that is dependent on the Internet being up and working constantly in the country you are based in. It is much better to build a business that is hosted on the other side of the world and have a business working for you in another country 24/7 so you are not dependent on access to the Internet being available all the time in your own country of residency, especially Africa.

Also, I would not throw selling on Amazon out of the window since many people are doing it and it works and they are making money from it. Drop shipping is such a broad topic and it does work if you do it right. If you attempt it wrongly it will not work as Shorelines brought up in his post. The new fulfillment by Amazon option is making it easier to sell on Amazon. Amazon sends it out for you when a customer makes a purchase from you. The PAC course is the best there is.

It is probably better that you get the reverse engineering course I told you about in my last post, and build upon something that is already working since you have little room to fail and it looks like you need to get an income going with little room for risk.

For Your Success,  Portable Income

RankRank

Joined 2013-04-19

PM

edit

RankRank

Joined 2013-04-19

PM

Kovacs,

I hope you found some of my response to your post useful. I probably came off a bit sour but I was lacking any sugar on my tongue that evening when I wrote that post.

If you have any questions about relocating let me know. I definitely encourage you to consider moving abroad, even to an orphanage in Africa if that’s what you want. You’ll have a great experience doing that. Just be prepared ahead of time for a societal and digital dark age.

My advice: bring two, preferably three laptops, and preferably a phone that can become a 3g hotspot after connecting to a mobile telecom provider. Case in point: I’m currently at a hotel that spends $200 a month for its internet connection with a 99% uptime guarantee, and sure enough the internet has only been up about 50% of the time for the last week, even though the service technicians have been out here every morning trying to remedy the situation. Without the 3g hotspot from my phone I wouldn’t be able to submit this post right now.

Get another phone to actually use to call and text people while you’re there so you aren’t bringing your smartphone internet connection around with you everywhere. You can buy that cheap secondary $15 phone when you arrive. Computer stores are rare in the third world, but phone shops are on just about every corner.

Smartphones are the #1 targets for theft in my experience. I’ve had people try to steal my smartphone on three occasions, and on one occasion it was successfully stolen for about an hour until I tricked the thieves into getting it back to me with a false promise. So keep it at home, you don’t want to lose your internet connection.

RankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-05-06

PM

Shorelines
Remember, trading is a zero-sum game:

Not really: https://mises.org/daily/2381
Or ‘it depends’.

RankRank

Total Posts: 91

Joined 2012-05-06

PM

I am looking for ideas here on how an International Financial Adviser gig can be made portable.

I am thinking about having a license or kind of base (where I don’t have to be physically) in a European financial center like the UK, Switzerland or Malta (not Cyprus).

The UK has this nice and informative site as well:
http://www.unbiased.co.uk/get-advised/how-do-I-choose-an-adviser
http://www.unbiased.co.uk/news/5-questions-to-ask-a-financial-adviser/1942

Do you like anything on the site unbiased.co.uk ? Any sympathetic adviser? Any tips or ideas where to start, how to do it, and most important who else is already successfully doing it?

Potential clients: from every country expect Americans (for the obvious reasons, sorry).

Rank

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2011-09-19

PM

Has anyone tried signing with a network marketing company for cash flow?

I was considering using a forex system called the ‘Bedtime Trader’ in the UK. It seems to have a good track record, again for cash flow!

However, I’m confused, I’m not sure whether it would be more profitable to invest in junior mining companies that are recommended in Casey’s International Speculator or use the forex trading?? I’m in need of more cashflow to use for investing/speculation.

But, I keep thinking about the fact that you are just trading pieces of paper! Whats happens to forex if currencies crash and revert to hard money again?